Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 10:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Oberon Ocarinas
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 14:04 

02 Aug 2012, 13:21

New York, USA

Hello all,

My name is Ross and I make ocarinas under the company name Oberon Ocarinas

Im currently in the Connecticut area of North America and I mostly make 12 and 11 hole ocarinas.

My work is mainly influenced by Toshikazu Matsumoto (松本としかず), Hisashi Kayama (火山久), Cantare, Sojiro (宗次郎), Maruyama Kinzo (丸山 金造氏), Giorgio Pacchioni, Kuolong Pan (Takashi) and Hiromichi ocarinas (ヒロミチ).

here is a little bit about my currently available ocarinas. Pictures and sound clips will be updated shortly! (ps- each thumbnail is expandable, so please click for a larger image) I apologize for the strange layout in advance, Ive no html or layout skill whatsoever.

About my ocarinas

-The voice of an Oberon Ocarina is designed to have the tonal qualities of both Italian and Asian ocarinas.

-12 and 11 hole ocarinas are crafted with performance in mind and as such have a fully executable range, from the first to the last notes in the scale. 12 hole ocarinas have a range from A3~F5, while 11 holes start from B3.

-The ocarinas are made from lightweight but strong earthenware clay to reduce fatigue when playing long passages. A secondary benefit for this clay type is that it is easier to warm up when performing in cold conditions.

-These Alto C ocarinas feature a firm breath requirement with a gradual increase when ascending the scale. The high end of the range has been designed to reduce pressure sensitivity, giving the musician peace of mind from tuning woes or squeaks when playing with other instruments.

Fingering layout Options

There are no restrictions on subhole placement and you may chose anything that is most comfortable for you.
As standard, some styles include:

Type 1: Japanese (ie- Tiamo)
Type 2: Taiwanese (ie- Night)
Type 3: Aketa style

please note- the above subhole images are property of 'ocarinahouse.web.fc2.com'

*in some cases, ocarinas have a tuning hole. This is not a tone hole and is not considered as a functional subhole.

Right hand indentations

Oberon ocarinas have something that is slightly atypical of normal 12 hole ocarinas. The right hand position has a partial bevel for the subhole. It does not extend entirely around the subhole but stops just short of the edge. The subhole itself is located on a curvature of the ocarinas body, which prevents accidental use by finger overlap from the parent hole. The partial bevel simply allows greater ease to slide the finger to reach the subhole and reduces concern when not utilized. The left hand position does not require such a feature due to the curvature of the body where it is located and is thus omitted.

Additionally, implemented only for the right hand, the thumb hole position for high E has a more pronounced bevel. This is used do accommodation the rotation of the thumb when playing the ocarina in various positions without accidentally exposing the edges of the hole, which would can occur with some ocarinas.

-Available finishes and pricing-
all ocarinas are stone burnished, polished and sealed with a non-toxic, vegan sealant to protect the porous clay from dirt and oils unless specified. Shipping is not included.

12 & 11 hole ocarinas

White clay, Red clay (coming soon)-

Red or white clay ocarinas are sealed as are all oberon ocarinas, so dirt and oil will not stain the finish.

Smoke fired white or red clay (coming soon)-
some examples of intense and subtle smoke firings:

Saggar fired ocarinas (white clay only)-

B

all ocarinas are sealed with a vegan, non-toxic sealant. This keeps the pores of the ocarina sealed from dirt and oils and additionally prevents saggar and smoke firing effects from fading due to exposure. The finish is water resistant and exceedingly so, but please do not submerge or wash your ocarina as it is a low fired earthenware and over time the sealant, like many other lacquers and varnishes ocarina makers use, will dull with overt amounts of exposure. If such problems occur however, I'll be more than happy to re-seal the ocarina for you (less the cost of shipping)

These ocarinas are hand made instruments. Please understand that slight variations may occur and that no two are exactly the same. The finish style and intensity is unpredictable as well, but I will do my best to provide and excellent ocarina all the same

Current models are Alto C with a round voicing, requiring no special techniques to execute the entirety of the range of the instrument.

Additionally, all ocarinas are tuned accurately to 440hz and are guaranteed by the maker to perform with utmost excellence. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, please do not hesitate to write me.

serial cataloging via naming

Each ocarina has a name which is given for a few reasons:

-The name is a sort of serial number for each ocarina. When an ocarina is made and sent out, the recipients is cataloged with the ocarina, which includes noting of the original owner and date of creation.

-Though I strive to make each ocarina as consistent as the next, hand made ocarinas will always have subtle variances as well as finishes, and this makes them unique. Naming them makes it easier to distinguish each ocarina's traits at a glance for future reference.

*please note that a saggar or smoke fire result is final as long as it is of outstanding quality. I cannot control the precise outcome in the chaotic art of saggar firing but I will do my absolute best to ensure a stellar ocarina.

sound clips:
Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3
(I apologize for the quality of these clips as they were recorded and uploaded via iphone. Better samples on the way!)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me
Im alway open to talking about ocarinas and their construction and will answer questions the best I can.

UPDATE: As of today, November 29 2016, I will not be accepting personal orders for ocarinas. Our studio is under construction, but after we return Ocarinas will be listed for sale as they are produced.

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

Post subject: Re: Oberon Ocarinas
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 23:42 

09 Aug 2012, 00:03

Hi Ross,

I subscribe to your Oberon Ocarina FB page so I get your updates. I think you have a nice style and wonderful touch with glazes. I'm looking forward to seeing your pendants if you ever decide to make them again.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 08:32 

08 Aug 2012, 05:44

How are the ocarinas coming along Ross? I hoipe to one day have one of your ocs :) They are nice and compact, which I like!

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:49 

New York, USA

Hey guys!
Thanks for the kind words <3
Theyre coming along slooowly due to the same technical issues ive been having for months now but I am confident Ill have it fixed one day. Jade may have found a solution so Im trying that as we speak.
Then they can go off into the world!

Ive been thinking about pendants lately and would like to make them again, but it will still have to be after I release these transverse ocarinas. But boy, I hope thats soon! I envision a bucket of little ocarina pebbles in the future ^-^

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 16:25 

I'm sure you will get the issues sorted out soon mate. It will all come out in the wash ;)

The sample Bateleur gave of your pendant was superb! Of course his playing is of a high quality but the instrument itself sounded very nice :)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 22:26 

Cambell wrote:
I'm sure you will get the issues sorted out soon mate. It will all come out in the wash ;)

The sample Bateleur gave of your pendant was superb! Of course his playing is of a high quality but the instrument itself sounded very nice :)

Would you have a link to the sample of Bateleur playing Ross' pendant?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 01:46 

I know it's a link to TON, but the MP3 is embedded in TON :/

http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7152143/1/

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 11:37 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

Cambell wrote:
I know it's a link to TON [...]
Don't worry about linking to TON from here, there are no rules on littlegeese.com against that as of the time being. Though, it is always better to post content directly here, of course. The opposite, however (making a post on TON with a link to here), while greatly appreciated here, would probably get you some flak on TON.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 18:00 

08 Aug 2012, 00:05

What do you know, you aren't allowed to upload mp3's to this forum.*

A LINK IT SHALL BE!!!

*Is unimpressed...

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 18:25 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

You can upload mp3 files, Kibbler, they just have to be under 1 MB in size. That limit might be raised in the future. Just don't upload copyrighted material.

Moderator edit: After consideration, the limit has been raised to 10 MB per file.
I also added Yahoo! webplayer that will put a little play icon next to every link to a media file. This is still experimental, thinking whether to keep it or not.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 21:21 

Cambell,

Thanks for the link to the MP3s. It has a very sweet, clear sound. I was surprised at how tiny the pendant was. I think it's even smaller than my Tenrai 6 hole. What particularly interested me was the fingering chart. I like the idea of using the right thumbhole for the accidentals because half holing to play C# and Eb with regular fingering drives me crazy.

I have a song I'm learning to play that has C, C# and Eb one right after the other and getting my fingers positioned properly is quite challenging. It would be so much easier to lift the right thumbhole.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 09:46 

Yeah this little pendant is something I have been wanting for quite a while... Ross keeps teasing us with little hints of him possibly making them in the future ;)

I want one Ross! :O

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 12:58 

New York, USA

theyll be coming dont worry :D
Just as soon as I get transverse rolling, the pendants will pop up as well. Believe me, no one wants these things out in the world more than I ^-^

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 14:13 

Ok deal! It's in writing now! ;)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 17:00 

07 Aug 2012, 23:30

I've been keeping track of Ross and his Ocarinas for some time now and I cannot wait to get one! The glaze-work he's developed is one of the most beautiful that I've seen so far. I'd love to see him go on to business soon. :D

I'd love to know though: How are models in other keys coming along Ross? Any hopes for a Tenor F?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 23:51 

20 Aug 2012, 23:22

California

I'm interested, too.

I prefer my ocarinas to be toothless.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 00:04 

11 Aug 2012, 18:17

I love your straw-fire ocarina! And I also like how the neck strap is located on the side of the ocarina.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 00:19 

20 Aug 2012, 02:40

Effingham, IL, USA

Ooh.. some of those remind me of the dragontooth lustre version.. Its so shiny! Like... A rainbow mixed with sparkles...

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. -Steven Tyler
Please don't call me unicorn. My name is Melody. :)

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 00:31 

New York, USA

Hello folks,

After a couple years and hundreds of ocarinas later, I am happy to announce that I am, well, 'open for business'. I will post a few on ebay once in a while if I can but as it stands, these ocarinas are made on an 'as ordered' basis. So if you would like to place an order, just shoot me an email. Please refer to the first post for all information on my current line of ocarinas.
Thank you all so much for all the support and help youve given me up till now, I cant say thanks enough!
cheers!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 01:45 

Administrator

Administrator

02 Aug 2012, 00:53

Maarssen, The Netherlands

That's great Ross! I'm really happy for you :D . You worked hard for this and I can't wait to try one out!

Make sure to stop by our chat room! Internet  Relay Chat