Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Some of methods described here could potentially be dangerous to your health or the health of others. Always be extremely careful when working with sharp tools, power tools, chemicals and/or high temperatures and make sure to follow the safety instructions for any tools or materials you use.

Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by attempting to do anything described here. Remember, safety first!

Post subject: some photos
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 23:15 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

A synopsis of a year’s work: This year has been spent trying to understand what a 19th c ocarina is and how it works—how the parts of the voicing affect timbre, How modifications of the wind channel affects the size of the finger holes and back pressures, how the window’s walls help or cloud the clarity of pitch, how various window sizes affect the instrument’s key, etc. What a grand instrument—they can be quiet, loud, sweet sounding or harsh.

I few folk have truly helped; members of the forum have been very supportive. Philippe Bolton sent me a paper from one of Oxford’s libraries. This paper was a collection of one man’s observations and tests; it helped tremendously even if Philippe alerted me not to take one person’s observations as fact. Of course this was sound advice but was good to connect with those discussing their findings of the mysteries of sound making.

The attached photos characterize various tests of interior volume, window size, wind channel , size and shape of window walls, and ramp angles---all have input on the fundamental pitch of the instrument. Yes there are many more factors as temperature and the thickness of the instrument’s walls (mainly to the size of fingerholes).

Many of you may have read that I haven’t yet tackled the question of making an ocarina in concert pitch. Yes I do have many C’s, G’s and all those between, even very low “E’s”, but because an ocarina can play, or be forced, up to a whole tone plus by just blowing pressure, I’ve not concretized a necessity for doing this at this time, in fact maybe never. I will continue to make these from the backyard shale as long as I can still dig, but I do wish to congratulate all those who want and can make instruments in concert pitch. I may simply be too old and tired to concentrate on this gigantic task at this point; closed bamboo tubular flutes presently satisfies me—the ease of making and tuning the fundamental.

The next few ocarinas will be made with new wind channel sticks having their front measurements much smaller—my original quest will continue. Two will have a different chamber specifically made for adding a mirliton. So far, adding an onion skin will not allow playing the top three notes, but the test was very crude (a picture was posted on another forum), and the sound was LOUD.

Attached are photos of the last batch I fired. The rectangular window works well, but I’m beginning to understand why many have adopted the teardrop design.
Andy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: some photos
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 02:25 

21 Nov 2012, 05:02

As always Andy, very impressive work! You're a very fast learner!

Please visit by Facebook page so that you can stay updated on my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/spiritwind.ocarinas

My website http://spiritwindocarina.com/

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 02:47 

South Carolina, USA

None of what i do can touch your work. Maybe someday I will become interested again in making a finished work, but for me that is in the past. Now shellac is something I had forgotten 40 years ago and now enjoying finding the stuff again.

Do you not make 10 hole ocarina?

Andy

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 21:45 

nah, I'm going to stick with making 12 holes since I use the sub notes a lot. And I'm actually just about the release my improved model soon which is higher breath so I and still learning ;D just gotta feel less sick so that I can start back again....

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 22:15 

South Carolina, USA

I noticed your question about 10 - 12 holed instruments on TON this aft. My experience points to 11 holed instruments might be a grand compromise. A few other makers seem to agree with both our reasons for a good ocarina.

I prefer the 10 holed ocarina at this point. This opinion at this point is based on the wealth of music I like to listen to and play. Also is is so much easier to carry, especially when riding my bike!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 22:45 

Yes you'll find that people such as Hamlett and Robert share your view of 11 holes.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2015, 22:56 

South Carolina, USA

Spirit wrote:
Yes you'll find that people such as Hamlett and Robert share your view of 11 holes.

yes, plus many others. I tend to agree, but as I said, I make and try to play the 10 hole for reasons stated

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2015, 03:57 

The type of music you play also directs whether or not you need the sub notes. I know robert has stated that he never uses them because he plays tunes. I play hymns and Asian music which tends to have a wider range.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2015, 12:28 

South Carolina, USA

well Jordan, I wrote a reply congratulating you on your playing and hoping for a CD...also stated that my 10 holes play 85+% of the old Methodist hymns--our minister and I played many of them last week.

and sent a note about another reason for NOT making 10 hole--the tuning of small holes is a devil of an act, BUT I really do dislike Chrome and can't wait until I get the new computer and can use IE whatever the newest version is. In other words, I lost the first post....And I dislike the filing system too. (my old computer doesn't seem to be able to handle Internet Explorer anymore.)