Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 16:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Re: Jade Everett alto C first impressions
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 21:01 

10 Dec 2012, 22:52

After this i will whant one!
Let jade rest from Budrio and i will talk about having one.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 08:01 

07 Aug 2012, 23:41

Dubai, UAE

Having tried Jade's ocarinas when I visited her last year and stayed over, her ocarinas are absolutely stunning. I told her then that they were amongst the top AC's I had tried and I stand by my word. They were ergonomic, had a nice weight that made the ocarina feel sturdy, beautiful balance between purity and texture in tone and a nice robust character right throughout the range. And ofcourse the glazing was just gorgeous.

I can't wait to have an AC from both her and Ross.

"Son, someday you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. She will then leave you to be with men who are 10 times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called musicians."
-Anonymous  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 22:58 

13 Oct 2012, 10:01

Jade, on the ergonomics point above, the current placement of the right finger hole - for me at least - forces my wrist to twist back on itself as shown below. Holding the ocarina 'as if' the hole was 8mm further towards my palm allows a relaxed grip.

Spoiler

Also the placement horizontally causes my hand to rest with the fingers angled towards the mouthpiece, especially the pinky. Which does make it easy to miss that hole in a descending leap. Just moving the thumb slightly to the right allows all fingers to rest naturally.

Spoiler

Personally how I place the right thumb hole is to draw a line down centred between the F and G finger holes, relative to the mould parting line.

Spoiler

I have found that this hole in particular is very important for the ergonomics, but it's optimum placement can vary quite a bit from person to person. Personally I also think adding a sllight radius to the face of the mouthpiece would help. I hope you find these comments helpful.

Also I will be taking the ocarina to Grimspound folk festival this coming weekend to see how well it's volume handles border morris :)

Post subject: Re: Jade Everett Ocarinas
PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 14:00 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

I pretty much agree with Robert's review, except for a few points:

Robert Hickman wrote:
At least in the case of my example, the ocarina plays with its fullest sound at A450 rather than 440, and is most easily played at that pitch.

If this is something that bothers you, applying a thin layer of shellac or nail polish to the edges of the subhole will fix that. However, this is not something I noticed on the ocarina I got from Jade. Yes, it sounds louder the more you blow into it and, like on any ocarina, the pitch varies with how much you blow, but I think with the correct breath pressure getting A to be 440 Hz is not difficult at all. In fact, I noticed that the ocarina I got has been very carefully tuned (a bit too carefully - probably a waste of time which could be spent making more ocarinas! :) ) and is one of the very few ocarinas in my collection that I did not feel the need to adjust the tuning. Of course, tuning of the ocarina is a preference of the musician who plays it. That is why it is important for every ocarina player to be able to tune their ocarinas.

Robert Hickman wrote:

On this ocarina the sub hole is tuned to favour the C#, which is easy to hit. However its enlarged size does mean that it cuts the pitch too much when playing the low B. Unless pushed the low B will play as a sharp B flat. This does have an advantage however as it does raise the volume of the typically weak lowest note. But it will also make this harder to play in tune in fast music. Personally I think a comprimise balancing the two notes would be easier - a slight raise fir the B and slight cut for the C#.

I think you are thinking a bit too much regarding this. It's actually quite simple - on this ocarina, the primary function of the sub-hole is to be a tuning hole, giving the ocarina well tuned low C so that it has nice and strong sound and does not need any breath adjustment. This hole might as well be unreachable by the finger, but Jade put it there so it makes playing low B easy. Yes, low B will always need a breath adjustment. In this case, it requires stronger breath, which I think is much better than requiring a breath cut.

Concerting the ergonomics, I find the right hand holes quite well placed, including the thumb hole. On the other hand, for me, the left hand holes are just a bit too low from what I would consider the optimal position. As you can see, it very much depends on the person who plays it. Overall, I think the ocarina is balanced pretty well.

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 19:16 

02 Aug 2012, 11:16

England, United Kingdom

Thankyou Robert for your feedback, i am glad you like the ocarina.

Krešimir has beat me to it but i will elaborate on some points. As he rightly suggested, you can always adjust the tuning hole/subhole to suit your own preferences. Just get some clear nail varnish and a suitable brush to alter the hole. There are many ocarinas in my personal collection that i have altered in this way to suit my personal preferences, and yes, all ocarinists should feel confident enough to make these adjustments themselves. After all, everyone is different :) All of my ocarinas are tuned extremely carefully with a dremel multi-tool, the process can take many hours just for one ocarina and i take every care to tune them as best as i possibly can. They are also individually checked a few days after tuning and further fine-tuned if necessary.

As Krešimir said for the subhole, it is actually an accessible tuning hole, so it has two uses. First and foremost it is used to tune low C. You will notice many makers of ten hole ocarinas have a tuning hole, just not all of them place theirs where it can be accessible. For example i will show you the two Menaglio ocarinas in my collection:

You will notice here that the Sol2 has a subhole for the left hand while the Do3 does not. On the Sol2, the subhole is really just the tuning hole which has been 'moved' to a more useful position. Krešimir bought me this ocarina last year when he visited Budrio and kindly offered to make this adjustment for me. All he had to do was fill in the existing tuning hole with nail varnish and drill a new one for the left hand, et voila, it is a subhole! I will be making this adjustment myself to the Do3 he bought me at the Festival ^^

So yes, for my own work, I have simply placed the tuning hole where it can perform a secondary function as a subhole to reach low B (and i made it quite big so that with a breath cut it should be able to reach Bb as well). Giorgio Pacchioni does this and it is him who initially inspired me (as i mentioned at the maker's meeting), and the altered Menaglio Sol2 demonstrates the dual purpose of the hole. Overall it is extremely useful for both maker and player :D

My ocarinas are for sale on eBay

More of my work can be found at http://www.facebook.com/EverettOcarinas

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 08:50 

29 Apr 2013, 06:16

Dear Jade,

the ocarina of yours that I was lucky to be able to try in Budrio is one of the best ocarinas with a v-formed voicing that I have played so far. I wish you all the best for your work.

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 17:30 

13 Oct 2012, 10:01

Thanks to both of you for the information, perticularly on the function of the sub hole. In a lot of the music I play the leading tone is needed, leading me to tune it in sequance. It is verry interesting to see things from alternative perspectives, seeing and trying all of the ocarinas at the festival has opened a door for me.

On the ergonomics point, changing my grip of the instrument has corrected the fall of the right hand. In perticular moving my thumb from 'standing on the hole' to 'lying flat on the hole' - I have ammended my origional comments to reflect this. That came about from Krešimir explaining the correct grip for the high notes in budrio, and the time it took me to get used to it.

Using the correct hold most certainly makes playing the high notes a huge deal easier, and it is unfortunate I had not descovered it earlier. There is a great deal of mis/lack of -information in the ocarina community, especially when I first started almost two years ago.

Over the past few days of learning the hold, I have found the area next to the high C hole to be a little small for placing the pinky finger. Also I agree with Kres about the holes being a little low. Moving the thumb hole forward a mm or two also corrects it for me.

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 19:08 

England, United Kingdom

Christoph wrote:
Dear Jade,

the ocarina of yours that I was lucky to be able to try in Budrio is one of the best ocarinas with a v-formed voicing that I have played so far. I wish you all the best for your work.

Thankyou so much Christoph, that is a great honour coming from such a skilled maker as yourself, i am so happy you like my ocarinas. I also wish you all the best with your work, i love the double i bought from you, it is an excellent instrument!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 23:57 

England, United Kingdom

If anyone is interested, the first ever sound/video sample of one of my ocarinas in action, played by Yung-tai Liu in Budrio, 2013:

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 2190138539

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 08:25 

Zagreb, Croatia

Jade wrote:
If anyone is interested, the first ever sound/video sample of one of my ocarinas in action, played by Yung-tai Liu in Budrio, 2013:

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 2190138539

Fun times! :D

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 14:20 

Administrator

Administrator

07 Aug 2012, 23:50

So I managed to get my hands on a Jadecarina at the Budrio festival and I've been trying it out a little. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

- Superb tuning. Not sure I can state this enough - this is probably one of the best tuned ocarinas that I have in my collection. Works very well when I'm playing in church and people are singing.
- Very responsive - there is no "lag" when you play, like with a Maparam. In fact, I think this might be more responsive than my Pacchionis even.
- No back pressure when blowing. This took me by surprise at first, and in the beginning, I didn't like it, but I think it is related to the responsiveness and it has grown on me with time. You blow, and the ocarina sounds, immediately.
- A little airy on the high notes. The breath curve is a little steep towards the end. I have been told by Jade that she has since adjusted for this in her later batches, so I do not believe this would be a problem for anybody buying one now.
- Good volume for playing with others (not super loud "concert style", so it doesn't take over and steal the show).

All in all, it's a very nice ocarina, one of the best AC's I've got. It's moderate breath, pretty similar to OcarinaMusic (Rotter) ocarinas in how much breath it requires. On a scale from 1-10 with 1 being a Hind and 10 being a Menaglio, I would say my Jadecarina is probably a 6 or a 7.

As for a picture, I don't have a good camera to take a picture with - my cell phone camera makes it much whiter and paler than it really is. It looks very much like the right one of the two that were posted earlier in this topic:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 18:23 

England, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and constructive feedback Ulf, it means a lot! I'm over the moon that you are happy with it, i could ask for no greater reward as a maker ^^

And if you want a picture of your exact ocarina, it is the one in this picture:

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/33/hsxl.jpg

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 23:38 

England, United Kingdom

Hey guys! I haven't posted in this thread for a while, just thought i'd share some photos of my recent engraved ocarina :)

This Lion embellished ocarina was made a month or so ago specifically for a planned trip with Bas to Dover Castle, the Key to England. I live local to the castle and i've visited it many times throughout my life, it is my second most favourite castle and i thought it a good idea to make a themed ocarina for the occasion. This particular lion can be found on tapestries and banners all over the keep. The design was painstakingly engraved by hand and wraps round to the back of the ocarina.

Before firing...

A royal sort of red seemed fitting for a finish, so once bisqued I glazed the ocarina with Amaco's lovely Deep Firebrick. Quite by accident I messed up the application of one of the front layers and had to remove it as best I could with a damp sponge. Having used this glaze for a long time now, I find Deep Firebrick can go thin in places if one isn't too careful, so I had to make up the remaining layers as best I could without going over the top; or heaven forbid, end up with it being too thin. Luckily, it seemed to come out just right!

After glaze firing and tuning

As with the Creeping Ivy Ocarina, I am considering taking custom engraving orders in the future. I have to work out the best way to go about it (and how to combat drying), but it may be possible. Anyway, here's some photos of it at the castle! (warning: lots of pictures)

At Dover Castle

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 20:38 

Zagreb, Croatia

I saw it on Facebook, the decoration is beautiful. I just wonder, how log did it take you to carve it? And is investing that time economically feasible to be able to produce enough of them, as I expect, the demand with be quite high...

For some reasons, such thoughts enter my mind very, very often. :D

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 10:44 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

I don't normally go for sculptural effects on ocarinas but that's brilliant.

Can you do one with the White Horse of Dover?

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad33 ... Dover1.jpg

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 11:14 

10 Dec 2012, 22:52

Nice pics... love ocarinas... nasal helmets... castles... only miss a longbow to be perfect... (and the lion is the simbol of my club)...

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 22:05 

England, United Kingdom

Thanks folks! Glad you like it ^^

@Kres: it is something I will have to look into, but I would very much like to do some engraved and/or sculptural work, even if it isn't as elaborate as this. I have plans in mind. Since I posted this particular one i have had a lot of people asking for engraved ocarinas. It would be nice to someday be able to honor those requests.

@Jack: isn't that the Uffington Horse? Or do you mean the white horse of Kent (invicta) - http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/kent.JPG? It has crossed my mind in the past to engrave or embellish an ocarina with the Kentish horse. I was even considering incorporating it into a logo quite some time ago, but I decided not to. I think I may still do a special Kent ocarina someday though, it would seem fitting having lived in Kent all my life, and having attended the University of Kent which of course incorporates the white horse on its arms. Yes, I must make sure to make a Kentish ocarina :)

@Miguel: yes it is indeed missing a longbow! We English are famous for them, it's a wonder they have no replicas at the castle actually. However, along the castle walls you can find the Avranches tower where bowmen/crossbow men could fire down through multi-angled slots onto the steep banks below. Fantastic example of defensive architecture, which I think is actually quite rare to find intact these days.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 21:37 

England, United Kingdom

Time again for a little update :)

Last year as a one-off i hand built a miniature eleven hole ocarina based on my C3 design. Unfortunately, sometime later, i dropped it on the paving slabs outside and it smashed. Recently i'd been thinking about it again and decided to try making them on a regular basis, so i sculpted a dud and cast a tiny mould. I thought constructing them would be difficult and finicky, but, aside from initial fiddly aspects, they are really very easy to make. I also constructed a neckstrap loop in addition so the ocarina could be worn if desired. Anyway, i made a test first, and it seems to have been a success, so i'll be making many many more to sell in the future :)

Before i started on the Mini venture i had also begun preliminary work on a G4 (Alto G) model. It is still in its very early stages and is currently on hold until i have the C3s ready to go on the market, but it is a start nonetheless and a small peek to the future ^^

And last but not least, i've been glazing stoneware bisque mugs for fun to give to friends and family as gifts. I don't have a potter's wheel, and sadly have never been taught how to use one, so buying some bisqueware was the next best thing. It's been fun to say the least, and i hope to make some people close to me happy this Christmas ^^

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 14:52 

08 Aug 2012, 20:10

Long time no see Jade! I'm happy to see the ocarinamaking is working out for you. :)

The red one with the lion on it look amazing to say the least! o.o Your work looks great, I have to find some spare money to get one in time^^

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 17:13 

Zagreb, Croatia

Great work, Jade! I hope I'll get to try the new sizes at the next Ocarina Festival. :D