Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 23:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Hamlett Ocarinas
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 01:23 

11 Dec 2012, 08:01

South Carolina

http://www.hamlettocarinas.com

Everyone is welcome to browse the website. I create a page for any YouTube videos I make, and I also supply the backtrack and sheet music if there are no copyright issues. I have audio downloads of my recordings (homemade, not studio), all my fingering charts, and a few informational articles. I also welcome suggestions for new information articles as well.

I am always happy to answer any questions about my ocarinas, and I gladly accept constructive feedback from anyone who owns, or has tried, one of my ocarinas.

Contact Richard Hamlett here.

Visit my web site by clicking the banner, or visit me on Facebook | YouTube | eBay

Post subject: Re: Hamlett Ocarinas
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 12:13 

10 Dec 2012, 22:52

Hey Richard,
Welcome.
I always love your ocarinas, specially your god taste for diferent colors... and are on my 'must have' list...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 16:16 

South Carolina

Thanks Miguel, I appreciate the welcome, and I'd be happy to make you one whenever you are ready.

Visit my web site by clicking the banner, or visit me on Facebook | YouTube | eBay

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 00:20 

South Carolina

Updates to http://www.HamlettOcarinas.com

I've just completed a few updates to the hamlettocarinas.com website, and I'd like to explain the changes I've made and why.

Here's a bullet list of the what's new or different. The complete explanations are in the spoilers.

• Reintroduced the option to order acrylic painted ocarinas in addition to the existing 5 glaze options.
  • Stopped using shellac as a sealer on painted ocarinas and started using a water based acrylic lacquer.
  • Added option to order an ocarina with colors of your own instead of just picking one of my colors from the dropdown.
  • Added comments feature to all ocarina listings so you can provide customer feedback and help others make their decision.
  • Added some items to the Information menu to make important articles easier to find.
  • Added an article with a full description and comparison of the two finishing options: kiln fired glaze vs acrylic and lacquer.

A new acrylic lacquer
I stopped selling painted ocarinas a while ago because I had reservations about using shellac. Too many times I've found myself warning potential customers about the problems with shellac. It is not a very durable sealant. It is not completely impervious to moisture, and it will wear off with constant handling. It dissolves in alcohol, so if the ocarina comes it contact with anything that contains alcohol or ammonia, such as glass cleaner, it will be ruined. Shellac is not very heat resistant, it can soften or even melt off if left in your car on a Summer day. Shellac will often sag over time, and on an ocarina that means the shellac could sag into the wind-way making the instrument unplayable. Ocarinas with a shellac finish will require careful attention and will inevitably need to be refinished at some point.

I thought for sure that once I was able to offer kiln fired glazes people would certainly choose that over shellac. That has not been the case. People really like having all those color options, and the layered multicolor effects that can be done with acrylic.

So I did some research and found a safe, non-toxic, water base acrylic lacquer that has none of the problems that shellac has. It is much more durable and will most likely last the lifetime of the ocarina without needing a refinish. It is not affected by alcohol or glass cleaners, it is impervious to moisture, and heat resistant.

This is an image of the test results from the technical documentation for this lacquer. This stuff is darn near bullet proof compared to shellac. Finally, I can offer a painted ocarina with a clear conscience and without feeling like I'm selling an inferior product.

Four initial colors
Just to get things started, I've added four acrylic colors/designs to the ordering options. There will be more colors added as I make more ocarinas and take some pictures. This is just something to get started with.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Use my colors
A lot more people order ocarinas by contacting me directly and requesting specific colors or patterns than they do by selecting something already on the website. So I simply added that as an option.

Here's what the order page looks like when that option is selected:

Leave feedback right on the site
Whenever I order something from the Internet, I like to read the comments of previous customers to see what people really say about it. I've added a comments feature on each ocarina product page for that purpose. I welcome both positive and negative comments, and the only thing I will filter out is profanity, racism, hate messages, or other spam. Any legitimate comment is welcome.

glaze vs lacquer
I know that a lot of people, even experienced ocarina players, who are simply not familiar with ceramics simply don't understand the real difference between a kiln fired glaze and a lacquered finish. I put together this information article to explain in great detail the two options in order to help people make the decision about which finish they might want.

For super quick version, there is a Pros/Cons summary at the bottom. You could probably just skip the whole thing and look at the summary and learn what you need to know.

Glaze vs Acrylic - What's the finish?

As always, I welcome any suggestions, feedback, discussion, or questions.