Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 14:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Fabio Menaglio Ocarinas
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 12:23 

Administrator

Administrator

02 Aug 2012, 00:53

Maarssen, The Netherlands

Fabio Menaglio is an ocarina maker from Budrio who has been making ocarinas since 1990.

His website can be found here: http://www.ocarina.it

Make sure to stop by our chat room! Internet  Relay Chat

Post subject: Re: Fabio Menaglio Ocarinas
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 12:53 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

the ocarina of Menaglio are, to me, absolutely stunningly beautiful. Love the Su 1 and Sol 2 forms too. Can anyone tell me if the finish he applies to his work is shellac? the ocarinas seem to have been painted.

Andy

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 13:14 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

Bas, I was asking this question from the standpoint of a maker's option for finishing an ocarina.

taking photos now. Hope they will not be boring to you folks--in fact this present interest in ocarinas was begun because of your countrymen in Delft--the closed pipes used in the Dutch Bamboo Pipe Guild. Those folk have been an absolute joy and a terrific reference. Wish I could attent the international seminar next week over there in Holland

Andy

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 17:36 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

acox 70 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the finish he applies to his work is shellac? the ocarinas seem to have been painted.

Andy

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's shellac, applied with a brush in one thick coat.

Here is a photo of Menaglio ocarinas from my collection. Most of them I picked myself and I like them very much.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 06:11 

09 Feb 2013, 02:26

If I didn't want Hind Ocarinas, or if I was I wasnt so tempted by the large pinky holes I would so buy one! \\(>_<)//

Post subject: Re: Menaglio ocarinas
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 15:37 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

I can hardy imagine two ocarinas that are more different than those by Menaglio and Hind. They are complete opposites: Hind ocarinas require very gentle breath (you can even play it with your nose!) and produce weak, soft sound. Menaglio ocarinas require rather strong breath and produce loud, rich sound. Hind ocarinas are finished with extreme precision and attention to appearance. Menaglio ocarinas are quite rough in finishing touches. Hind ocarinas are very expensive. Menaglio ocarinas are quite cheap, etc... Complete opposites! :D

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 17:04 

09 Feb 2013, 02:26

That's part of the reason why I like them. I will probably get Sol 3 from Menaglio someday though! :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 17:40 

02 Dec 2012, 16:44

I know that Menaglios are considers to be the "classic" Italian made ocarinas, But I have heard of/read complaints that their quality control is not very good. By that I mean tuning, voicing. They are available in the US, but I am hesitant to buy one without trying several. I find it very strange that this manufacturer would allow less than very good quality to even leave their facility. Especially this company, which has so much history with it. Has anyone else found a way to get a good one?

Moderator edit: Moved from General Discussions and merged here.

"Devout seeker of perfection"

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 19:26 

02 Aug 2012, 11:16

England, United Kingdom

I think the ideal situation with any instrument is to be able to try first, but unfortunately this isn't always possible with ocarinas what with how little-known it is.

I have three Menaglio ocarinas, but i guess i can't help you much as they were tried by either myself or Krešimir in Budrio (two he chose and bought for me). I will say however that i find my Sol2 and Do3 (oriental fingering) very good ocarinas, and among my favourites in my collection. I actually really want to get a Do1 based on my experience with the others, and i also kick myself for not getting any Menaglio ocarinas sooner.

I find it odd you have heard complaints about the voicings though, i have never seen a Menaglio with a dodgy voicing :/

My ocarinas are for sale on eBay

More of my work can be found at http://www.facebook.com/EverettOcarinas

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 01:48 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

I've tried quite a lot of Menaglios and while they vary a bit (as do all ceramic ocarinas) I never found one that was unacceptable.

http://www.campin.me.uk