Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 24 May 2019, 10:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Some of methods described here could potentially be dangerous to your health or the health of others. Always be extremely careful when working with sharp tools, power tools, chemicals and/or high temperatures and make sure to follow the safety instructions for any tools or materials you use.

Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by attempting to do anything described here. Remember, safety first!

Post subject: paper clay
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 20:21 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

Giorgio, this first trial of "paper clay" must be incorrect. As near as I can remember I took four handfuls of toilet paper and about 1/2 liter of water. Let it sit for a hour, sired it, and added another handful of toilet paper....

after mixing the water/toilet paper mix, I added crushed 1/2 "art" clay and 1/2 local red dirt. Let that slake for several hours. no extra water was added I don't think/ then Mixed with electric mixer and poured into a plaster vat.

today I wedged the clay. Good grief it wedged well and I could pinch the clay into a sheet of very thin paper and the clay did not separate. wow. I must not have added enough paper? anyway will make an ocarina tonight and finish it during the German Formula one race tomorrow morn.

I no one else in interested I shall send result to you Giorgio a private message
Andy

Post subject: Re: paper clay
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 12:42 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

What's the point?

Presumably you just end up with a bulkier, lighter and more porous result. I can imagine that has its uses (e.g. as an insulating material), but why is it good for ocarinas?

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 14:41 

South Carolina, USA

Jack Campin wrote:
What's the point?

Presumably you just end up with a bulkier, lighter and more porous result. I can imagine that has its uses (e.g. as an insulating material), but why is it good for ocarinas?

Morning Jack. what is the use? good question, but it is the question that I am interested, for example, I would think the "udu" drum would certainly benefit being made from this material. The ocarina with thin walls have shown a more interesting timbre than a high-fired thicker walled ocarina. But I suppose you may be correct.

The German Formula One race finished as I finished tuning the first alto paper-clay ocarina. It was a bit more difficult to make=--the clay will not "cut" as usual in its leather hard state so making the voicing was even more difficult....we shall see after it is fired.

Cheaper (?). Short shelf-life! but I do like working with green molded clay. Guess I need to add more urine in it this next time. ( Ha, we don't do than anymore--sure was easy tho. Shucks Jack, "What's the point" is a question usually asked about NASA projects and flights. (wooooooooooo)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 15:15 

04 Aug 2012, 22:56

Pur non avendo ancora sperimentato nulla, sono convinto che se non si eccede la percentuale di carta oltre il 20 % in volume e se si miscela molto accuratamente la polpa di carta da dissolvere nell'argilla, la porosità rimane accettabile. Con una normale vernice i pori verranno otturati. Con questo sistema non si è costretti a realizzare le pareti delle contrabbasso sottili come la pasta sfoglia!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 15:55 

South Carolina, USA

Tytoalba wrote:
Pur non avendo ancora sperimentato nulla, sono convinto che se non si eccede la percentuale di carta oltre il 20 % in volume e se si miscela molto accuratamente la polpa di carta da dissolvere nell'argilla, la porosità rimane accettabile. Con una normale vernice i pori verranno otturati. Con questo sistema non si è costretti a realizzare le pareti delle contrabbasso sottili come la pasta sfoglia!

My wife was also in the arts and really knowledgeable of clay--I gave her a marble-sized ball of the paper clay and she pinched it a thin as a sheet of paper, which is unbelievable to do with my local shale I am using. She also noted it was very strong and difficult to tear or break.

Kind of excited to see how the density, absorption and shrinkage compares to my normal working clay. Will probably fire again in a couple of weeks

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 23:12 

04 Aug 2012, 22:56

Al momento, il motivo che mi scoraggia è legato alla laboriosità del sistema. Dopo aver miscelato per bene e micronizzato la carta nella argilla liquida, tutta la miscela alla fine dovrà perdere tutta l'acqua sino ad avere la consistenza dell'argilla che uso sempre. Diversamente il ritiro sarebbe improponibile. C'è poi il problema della conservabilità della miscela. Che sostanza usare per la conservazione?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 00:46 

South Carolina, USA

Tytoalba wrote:
Al momento, il motivo che mi scoraggia è legato alla laboriosità del sistema. Dopo aver miscelato per bene e micronizzato la carta nella argilla liquida, tutta la miscela alla fine dovrà perdere tutta l'acqua sino ad avere la consistenza dell'argilla che uso sempre. Diversamente il ritiro sarebbe improponibile. C'è poi il problema della conservabilità della miscela. Che sostanza usare per la conservazione?

you are quite right. Shelf life would be short, but I did not mix more than I can use in a couple of weeks. Yes, it is impractical--just as impractical as me making ocarinas!

there are many excellent craftsman who make ocarina. There is no practical need for me to do so, but I want to better understand sound....AND the entire last two months have been with trying to find different shapes that may allow smaller fingerholes for the last three notes. I may have an answer, but will not say quite yet.

Andy as to those who have written me asking what do I do with all those tests---I just box them up and give away. No one would want my "unfinished" look when beautiful playable examples can be ordered from you and other masters.

a

andy