Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 23:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Some of methods described here could potentially be dangerous to your health or the health of others. Always be extremely careful when working with sharp tools, power tools, chemicals and/or high temperatures and make sure to follow the safety instructions for any tools or materials you use.

Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by attempting to do anything described here. Remember, safety first!

Post subject: Ocarina making videos. Post them here!
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 18:02 

02 Aug 2012, 13:21

New York, USA

If you know me then you know that I'm always on the prowl for information on other ocarina makers techniques and styles for constructing their instruments. Its almost a sickness. Being that the instrument is so young, craftsmen being as withdrawn as they are and their general lack of desire to add information to the internet on their craft, its becoming increasingly difficult for me to hunt down new pieces of data on this beautiful instruments various building techniques.

For the past 5 years now I have consistently searched google for ocarina information in foreign languages hoping to get more hits, which makes sense considering the popularity of the instrument in Asian countries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand. Once in a while I find a solid gem.

This one I found recently was quite informative on a purely visual standpoint.
Though many ocarina construction techniques are very similar and Ive seen a lot of it all before, this video differs in that Geo Ocarina utilizes a sort of armature or ramp to guide the windway tool into the stationary lower half of the ocarina body. That is something that friends and I have talked about theoretically in the past, but never brought to realization. Naturally, I was pretty excited to see how this worked out.

This ramped, windway-guiding concept would have required constant adjustment and testing if done on a purely experimental basis, but I imagine that if wall thickness and windway trajectory was very well considered and implemented in a computer design program, this would be a brilliant means to circumvent many inherent difficulties with ocarina construction. Inserting the windway tool into the clay body is usually the safest approach (as opposed to sort of laying the windway tool onto the clay and covering it with another piece of clay) but requires the craftsman to achieve the same angles of insertion every single time, lest they produce an inconstant batch of instruments. Menaglio uses this method, but with no guide that I am aware of. Its a very traditional system and has been used since the instrument's inception.

Anyway, enough banter. The point of this thread- Post videos that talented or professional ocarina makers have taken part in. If we are to learn from anything, it must be good examples (ie- please leave out youtube videos of someone just trying to make their own ocarina for the first or second time or whatnot)

I'll go first with the aforementioned video from Geo Ocarina:

https://vimeo.com/64130434

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

Post subject: Re: Ocarina making videos. Post them here!
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 18:09 

02 Aug 2012, 13:21

New York, USA

Heres another one.
Giorgio Pacchioni's "Dream"

https://youtu.be/WY6PCwqGUTo

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

Post subject: Re: Ocarina making videos. Post them here!
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 01:15 

04 Aug 2012, 22:56

Ciao a tutti, ciao Ross,
Colgo l'occasione per postare un breve video per rendere l'idea di come procedo per realizzare il canale dell'aria e il foro del voicing. Mi scuso per la cattiva inquadratura. Ho cercato di tagliare alla meglio le scene morte. Si nota che sono poco tecnologico, perchè mi trovo a mio agio usando attrezzature poco ortodosse..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2z-OG ... e=youtu.be