Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 07:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Focalink (Stein) Ocarinas
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 04:31 

07 Aug 2012, 08:32

http://www.steinocarina.com

Post subject: Re: Focalink (Stein) Ocarinas
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 02:04 

20 Aug 2012, 02:40

Effingham, IL, USA

^ I have the dolce triple and its great. With excellent service. Just sayin. :)

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. -Steven Tyler
Please don't call me unicorn. My name is Melody. :)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 11:28 

07 Aug 2012, 23:49

I love my plastics and plan on getting some of the strawfired ceramics.

"To live at all is miracle enough"
~Mervyn Peake

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 11:02 

08 Aug 2012, 05:44

I owned the strawfire set of four for about a year, and I can ratify that they are wonderful ocarinas. I was very happy with them, but found that my tastes changed. Focalink makes wonderful ocarinas, which I would be happy to recommend to anyone ;)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 10:22 

02 Aug 2012, 11:16

England, United Kingdom

I love Focalink's strawfired ocarinas, i never had any singles but i did have a Double SG, Double AC, Double AG and a Dolce Triple AC. The latter two i miss sometimes, i enjoyed playing them very much, and i loved their smokey smell ^^

My ocarinas are for sale on eBay

More of my work can be found at http://www.facebook.com/EverettOcarinas

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 12:20 

08 Aug 2012, 05:44

Hehe barbeque ocarinas are the best ;)

I had the Dolce Triple AC which I really liked, although I never used the third chamber. I currently have the focalink plastic AC which is also very nice.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 13:34 

20 Aug 2012, 02:40

Effingham, IL, USA

A little off topic but: Hehe my dolce triples name is barbeque... In chinese.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. -Steven Tyler
Please don't call me unicorn. My name is Melody. :)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 15:40 

Their plastics are pretty much the gold standard of plastic ocs.

~Mervyn Peake

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 18:43 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

FortyTwoBlades wrote:
Their plastics are pretty much the gold standard of plastic ocs.

I disagree. While Focalink plastic soprano C is a good plastic ocarina, their plastic alto C has bad, airy high notes and suffers from condensation issues. I was not impressed when I tried it. It is certainly not the worst plastic ocarina, but it is not the best.

If you want a great Focalink ocarina, I'd say forget about plastic toys and buy their "Forte" set of single-chambered ocarinas. They are among the best ocarinas I've tried, in my opinion, and they play like traditional Italian ocarinas from Budrio.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 19:04 

I meant it in the sense that it makes a very good plastic oc to use as a standard for judging others. Just because it's "gold" doesn't mean there aren't "platinum" ones. :D For what it's worth, I had the same experience as you with my alto at first, but with time to grow familiar with it I no longer experience weak notes at the higg end of its range. I find that condensation is only a big issue for the first five minutes of play. Once warmed up condensation is minimized. Your mileage may vary. :)

~Mervyn Peake

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 14:51 

England, United Kingdom

That is interesting. I've always had positive experience with Focalink personally. In my opinion, i think the ocarinas sold are fairly priced, and i never had a problem with the lacquer on any of the Focalink ocarinas i used to own...

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 15:00 

Zagreb, Croatia

I would also say that Focalink ocarinas have great service. I've met in person the owner of Focalink, Zack Shih and he is a really nice person - very dedicated to quality of products and service.

And while I don't like plastic ocarinas from Focalink (or by anyone else, to be honest), I can only say great things about their "Forte" models. I think out of all oriental ocarinas, Focalink Forte series comes closest to the traditional Italian ocarina from Budrio.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 19:19 

08 Aug 2012, 16:56

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have just a question: what is the difference between Forte and Dolce models? I have all the time heard those classifications but I never understood the specific characteristics!
I have a Double Focalink AG, it sounds very good bud I don't like the fingering.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 19:49 

Zagreb, Croatia

There are significant differences. Regular Focalink ocarinas (or as some people call them, "Dolce") require gentle breath and have weaker, sweeter sound. Focalink Forte ocarinas require rather stronger breath and produce much louder and richer sound. There is also a considerable difference in price and single chambered Focalink Forte ocarinas are, as far as I know, only available in a set (SC, SG, SF and AC).

On Focalink's website, you can compare Forte ocarinas with regular.

As I stated earlier, I personally prefer Focalink Forte ocarinas much more, especially their single chambered ocarinas. They are excellent ocarinas, have very nice sound and are comfortable to play. I'm not nearly as much impressed with regular Focalink ocarinas, even though they are quite decent, too.

Post subject: Focalink ocarinas / new website
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 08:03 

Dear all, Focalink's new website http://www.steinocarina.com has been released just now. My newly-designed protection cases for ocarinas have also on the new website. You are welcomed to visit it. Thanks.

Zack Shih / Focalink ocarinas

Moderator edit: Topics have been merged.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39 

England, United Kingdom

Wow, i'm so glad the new cases are available! When we were in Budrio, Yung-tai Liu demonstrated to us the excellent protection they provide - he dropped the case on the floor, opened it up and showed us the undamaged ocarina inside, brilliant! Really like the subtle decoration on the cases too, they are fantastic! Thanks for the update Zack, i may make an order soon! :D

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 15:11 

Administrator

Administrator

02 Aug 2012, 00:53

Maarssen, The Netherlands

I'ts great to see that the cases are finally available! I was quite curious about them when you told me about them a long time ago and it was certainly nice to see them in Budrio. Thank you very much for the update :D .

Make sure to stop by our chat room! Internet  Relay Chat

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 15:15 

Thank you for all your comments. There are some videos inside to show the sound samples to you. Should you have any suggestions or comments about my new website http://www.steinocarina.com please do not hesitate to advise. As always, I will do my best to make everything as perfect as possible. Thanks again !

Post subject: New Focalink Protective Case
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 15:57 

17 Aug 2013, 01:59

Hi, I am interested to buy Focalink latest protective case with memory foam. Has anyone is using it? What is your review on this product?
Thank you for your reply is advance.

Moderator edit: Moved from General discussions subforum.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 14:01 

England, United Kingdom

Hi ENSG, i purchased a Focalink AC last month with the new protective case, and i can say it is definitely worth having if you are wanting something decent for travel. The exterior is tough and the interior has very generous foam padding. Be aware though that i think the cases come in three sizes, so if you're going to get one, make sure you get the right size for the ocarina you have in mind to keep in it. The one that came with the Focalink AC is very spacious, and i can get more than one like-sized ocarina in there, and they don't hit each other inside when zipped up (i've shaken it rigorously to test this, and all seems well). However i don't recommend putting a large ocarina in there with a small one, as i would expect the smaller one to move around too much due to the space created by the bigger one (say for example, and Alto C and a Soprano C). If you're keeping more than one ocarina in there, make sure they are as similar in size as possible. And as a precaution, if you put more than one in there, it would be a good idea to put something soft between them just in case.

Overall, i can't fault this case at all, it does the job, and i'm very happy with it :)

Pictures