Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 23:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

In order to give ocarina makers a chance to edit their own information and add news and updates in the opening post of a thread dedicated to their business we ask you to follow the following rule:

If you are making a thread about another ocarina brand, only post factual information in the opening post. If that ocarina brand has a representative on Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum, it would be best to let them create a topic for themselves. Otherwise, if you want to post your opinion or a review, you can create a new post directly after making the first post to do so. Keep in mind that the first post of any thread in this subforum may be completely deleted to be used by the ocarina brand representative that is being discussed in the thread.

If you are an ocarina maker or a representative of an ocarina brand and wish to have a topic dedicated to your business, feel free to start your own, unless it already exists, in which case, please contact the user Bas or send an e-mail to , so that we can arrange it so that you can have the opening post.

Post subject: Jade Everett Ocarinas
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 13:04 

02 Aug 2012, 11:16

England, United Kingdom

Hello, for those of you who don't know me, my name is Jade and i am the maker of Everett Ocarinas based in England. I started out making in 2010 due to my love for making things, and after being inspired by the many excellent makers i met at the Budrio Ocarina Festival in 2011, i decided to commit myself to making more seriously. I make transverse eleven hole ocarinas, and i can make them in Italian or Asian style fingering.

C3 (Alto C) and Mini ocarinas are for sale on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/usr/kalasinar. I hope to make many other tunings available in the future. I am also hoping to produce a variety of engraved and sculptural ocarinas as well.

If you wish to follow my work, i update regularly on Facebook. If you want to ask me any questions at all, i can be contacted at everettocarinas@gmail.com, or via PM here or on Facebook. Here are some examples of my work:

Pictures

And some links to sound samples of my C3s by Achint Singh and Alex Schrider respectively:

https://soundcloud.com/mousechint/jade- ... o-c-sample
https://soundcloud.com/bateleur5/fronti ... dali-short

My inspiration comes from my most favourite and admired ocarina makers: Hyunil Ko of Woodsound Ocarinas, Giorgio Pacchioni of Pacchioni Ocarinas, Terry Riley of Terry Riley Vessel Flutes, Kuolong Pan of Takashi Ocarinas, and Olivier Gosselink of Gosselink Ocarinas. Their artistry and craftsmanship is, in my opinion, a step above the rest, and i urge anyone interested in the ocarina to look up their beautiful work.

My ocarinas are for sale on eBay

More of my work can be found at http://www.facebook.com/EverettOcarinas

Post subject: Re: Kalasinar Ocarina
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 23:38 

09 Aug 2012, 00:03

Don't be so modest, Jade. You are a talented sculptor and I think your ocarinas are gorgeous. I keep checking them out on Facebook to see what new glazes and designs you've come up with. :)

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 07:09 

08 Aug 2012, 20:00

pandorado wrote:
Don't be so modest, Jade. You are a talented sculptor and I think your ocarinas are gorgeous. I keep checking them out on Facebook to see what new glazes and designs you've come up with. :)

Absolutely! They are extremely nice to look at. The prettiest clay Alto C ocarinas that I have seen so far. I look forward to hearing them.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 07:52 

08 Aug 2012, 05:44

I am going to have to buy one when you start selling :) I actually need an AC now haha

Yours are very elegant, with wonderful finishes. I think the Ivy Creeper is still my favourite ever AC finish.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 18:53 

11 Aug 2012, 18:17

Wow! These ocarinas are real works of art! I'd love to buy one, as I am becoming more interested in hand made ocarinas.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 23:43 

England, United Kingdom

Thankyou for your kindness everyone. I hit a snag a few months ago which i have been trying to fix ever since. I think i may have finally found a solution, so hopefully i will not be held back any longer. Still can't say for sure when they will be ready for sale, but i'll keep you all posted.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 23:00 

10 Aug 2012, 12:21

The way you have combined your love of ocarinas and crafts is inspirational.
The future of the ocarina is looking to be in good hands.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 23:32 

Jade, if you don't release within the next 3 weeks, I'm sending you an email asking demanding you to make me an oc! I have a reasonable amount of ocarina money, and it's burning a hole in my pocket!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 23:36 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

TheZ wrote:
Jade, if you don't release within the next 3 weeks [...]
Be patient. Great things are worth waiting for! You will be glad you waited...

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 23:39 

Meh! The wait is killing me! Her ocarinas are absolutely beautiful... with their curved mouth pieces and a stunning makers mark!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 04:36 

20 Aug 2012, 02:40

Effingham, IL, USA

Wow Jade, I feel really dumb not seeing all these wonderful looking ocarinas of yours! I didn't realize ou had a facebook, must certainly check that out. And that Ivy Creeper finish is just stunning!

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. -Steven Tyler
Please don't call me unicorn. My name is Melody. :)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 12:28 

England, United Kingdom

Thankyou for the wonderful comments. I'm really sorry for the delay in releasing them, but i would feel terrible to subject them to the ocarina community when i am not fully satisfied with them myself yet. I'm hoping they will be ready soon, i have been making progress, but i cannot give any accurate estimate for when that will be. I really appreciate your continuing support and patience everyone :)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 21:43 

08 Aug 2012, 20:00

As I said to Hyunil Ko this week when he told me that my ocarina would come a bit later.... Good things are worth waiting for! :)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 22:46 

England, United Kingdom

Well, Woodsounds are always worth waiting for ;)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 12:39 

England, United Kingdom

I tried out a new glaze yesterday, i wanted some kind of yellowish colour to add to my glaze palette, and i settled on this one called Oatmeal. The ocarina on the left has a heavier coat than the one on the right. I'd love some feedback as to what you all think of it

I also felt inspired by my new wonderful Pacchioni Ocarinetta in F, so i made a little mini ocarina. This one is in A ^^

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 16:26 

08 Aug 2012, 12:10

That's awesome Jade as usual ;)

Just to have a better idea of this glaze, could you just post the same picture as the first one but with the top view (not the back) of the left ocarina ?
I really like the idea of colors inspired by nature.

And the mini oc is super cute.
But please stop teasing us and share your creation with the world !! :D It's soooooo frustrating...
I want one of your oc !!!! :D

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 18:21 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

You can see many more pictures of Kalasinar ocarina on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KalasinarOcarina

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 05:25 

21 Jan 2013, 07:27

Jade, I truly love your style of ocarina making :) You have the sculptor's gift! I follow your page on Facebook all the time. I can't wait for them to be up for sale!o

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 16:20 

03 Aug 2012, 19:56

Enschede, Netherlands

Jade's ocarinas are very pretty!

Post subject: Jade Everett alto C first impressions
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 19:58 

13 Oct 2012, 10:01

I bought one of these from the hands of it's creator at the 2013 Budrio ocarina festival. Having only had the ocarina for a day, and having been up two days running with flights back from Budrio, I can't offer an experienced perspective - these are just my initial thoughts.

Visual

Spoiler

It is obvious that Jade is hystorically an artist from the visual design of the instrument, in one word: beautiful. Mine has a dark blue glaze of speckled finish and patched with arias of lighter blue which add greatly to its ascetic.

Ergonomics

The ocarinas angled mouthpiece combined with the dropped placement of the left pinky hole makes it easy to handle through its full note range. It is physically light alowing it to be supported between just the lips and left pinky finger. This helps greatly with support when playing the thumbholes.

Unfortunately for my hands, the placement of the right thumb hole is about 7mm too far to the back and left, forcing my hand into a twisted position. While not uncomfortable, it does cause me to miss holes on leaps. It will be interesting to see how I get used to this.

Edit: Holding this ocarina requires a somewhat different grip to what I was used to using, the thumb should be rolled back and placed flat against the hole and srrounding ceramic.

Voicing / Tuning

A problem I have experienced with the development of 11 hole ocarinas is the difficulty of playing the low C# with good intonation. On a 12 hole as the first hole represents an increase of a whole tone, it is larger and more appropriately sized for playing that accidental. However on an 11 hole it only raises the pitch a semitone. When the hole is tuned with the general breath curve a substantial breath cut is needed to get the c# in tune.

On this ocarina the sub hole is tuned to favour the C#, which is easy to hit. However its enlarged size does mean that it cuts the pitch too much when playing the low B. Unless pushed the low B will play as a sharp B flat. This does have an advantage however as it does raise the volume of the typically weak lowest note. But it will also make this harder to play in tune in fast music. Personally I think a comprimise balancing the two notes would be easier - a slight raise for the B and slight cut for the C#.
After a coupple of days the different tuning of the subhole is no longer noticeable.

Overall despite the niggles above, I do love this ocarina for being both a great playing and beautiful, things which are often mutually exclusive. I would love to see Jade go further with the visual design, like in her earlier sculptural works.

Moderator edit: Merged the topic from General Discussions subforum. Added spoiler tags around large images.