Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 17:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you display your ocarinas?
PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 17:48 

25 Oct 2012, 22:29

Hey everyone,

So I've been thinking for a while, that when I have more space, I'd love to display my ocarinas, in a display case, currently all of my ocarinas fit into one box with lots of bubble wrap.

So I wondered what do people here do with their ocarina collections? Maybe you have some of your prized ones on a mantle piece or in a display case of some kind? Maybe you have an 'ocarina' room, with rows of shelves and endless ocarinas glinting at you from up on high.
Or perhaps like me you have a dream about how you'd like your ocarina collection to be displayed :)

I was also curious about what you can use to stand your ocarinas on for display? I'm aware of ocarina stands being sold on some websites, but I thought to myself, there has to be some way of displaying ocarinas using something else?

Thoughts, ideas, photo's, dreams, go!

Post subject: Re: How do you display your ocarinas?
PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 21:24 

02 Aug 2012, 13:21

New York, USA

I'll add a photo when I can, but I just have them on a bookshelf :P
I keep the ones I use most frequently on the top and the rest in front of books on the lower shelves. Theyre also strewn all over my room on any flat surface but the primary ones stay in the same place.
I would love to have a case for them all though, something with a sliding door just in case cats come into the room. Then I wouldnt have to keep my eye on them the entire time haha

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 22:13 

25 Oct 2012, 22:29

Ohhh what about an entire wall being like shelving with a glass sliding door in front.... :D Think of all the ocarina's you could have on display ^_^

OH this has all reminded me of a house I saw on grand designs, let's see if I can find it...

Okay so I can't as I don't think you guys can watch 4OD outside of the UK, but basically this couple had a huge barn and they made rooms with it by using glass cabinets (on wheels) as dividers! In the glass cabinets were all their collectors toys and what have you, but imagine how awesome it would be if it had ocarinas!

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 00:28 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

I was in New Zealand last month. Where the national museum in Wellington has this stuff on sale in their shop:

http://www.preservationequipment.com/St ... seum-putty

For anyone who's lived in NZ your idea would give them the cold shivers.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 16:20 

20 Sep 2012, 22:30

They're just laying on my table in non-transparent cases, I don't display my instruments. I only have 3 playable ocarinas right now.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 02:42 

09 Feb 2013, 02:26

I usually have a shelf for them. I often keep my most played ones nearby across the house though.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 11:55 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

I keep my ocarinas in the drawers or in boxes on the shelves. The most common cause of breaking an ocarina is leaving it somewhere where it can fall off.

For displaying ocarinas, a shelf with glass doors is very nice - but it's not very practical for instruments you play often.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 04:52 

25 Feb 2013, 22:15

I keep my ocarinas in a book case with a glass door. :D

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 10:59 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

Individual padded zipped pouches, which are in turn kept in a fibreglass motorcycle carrier box (for my Pacchionis) and a hardshell cordura-covered toiletries case (for the others), and both of those under the bed. So I can grab a boxful any time I'm taking them out to play. Either would probably survive being thrown over the roof of the house with not a chip to the instruments. (I once spent three months throwing mail around in a postal sorting office. It gave me a lifelong interest in packaging stuff in such a way that my younger self couldn't have broken it).

These cases aren't fireproof, though. Maybe that's the next step.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 02:26 

18 Feb 2013, 00:14

Florida, USA

I have a small glass showcase I keep my ocarinas in.
As my collection grows bigger, the room in the showcase has gotten smaller. I do have a much bigger showcase, but it is in the back of the storage shed. :(

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 23:35 

23 Aug 2012, 00:18

I'd like to see more cases made for ocarinas. I know this isn't practical for individual makers and would up the price, but it does add a level of professionalism. The antique cases I've seen with Mezzetti, keyed Fiehn, and Thomas Zach ocarinas look gorgeous though, and would look nice sitting next my clarinet and mandolin cases in my home.