Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 24 May 2019, 10:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: History of ocarina in American schools
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 03:43 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

Am I remembering correctly someone on this forum was cataloging or writing about the history of ocarina instruction? This may have been a couple of years ago...but tonight I stumbled upon a bit of history of the ocarina used to teach/learn music in the USA.

My wife and I had just finished dinner and as old or somewhat over weight as I am, I wanted a sweet dessert. Alas, nothing was in the house so I jumped into the car and drove to our local grocery. After purchasing some fruit and a box of cookies, I walked back to the car. there was an old Chevy van parked next to my car. The van's rear doors were open and a white haired man was standing next to the doors. As I passed he asked if I wanted some tomatoes.

the man seemed to want to just talk to someone.He told me a story of the tomatoes and how they were from his mother's seed around 1960. He then told me about his wife and her illness. He became terribly emotional remembering good times with his wife and mom, their move from Maryland to South Carolina and planting tomatoes in their new garden.

He then wanted to give me the entire box of tomatoes that had come from one vine. I was so shocked to see that many tomatoes from one vine I asked him about the soil and care he had given this one plant. He said it's your South Carolinian red dirt.

Upon hearing this I remembered I had an ocarina in the car that had been made from the "red dirt". When I showed him the ocarina, he started weeping again--he said we played those in western Maryland in middle school and he still had the sheet music they had used in school.

He did tell me he was born in 1929; his appearance was that he was in terrific physical shape. I have posted that another friend of mine in his mid-eighties who was also taught ocarina in eastern Tennessee.

It was a good talk.

Andy

Post subject: Re: History of ocarina in American schools
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 01:46 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

Any chance of you seeing that school music so we can know what they played?

I wonder if there is some correlation between good quality tomatoes and ocarina production? - like the geochemical reason why, in the UK, nuclear power stations tend to be located in places that produce good beer. The Po delta (where Fecchio is located) produces a great variety of vegetables including most of Europe's large-bulb garlic.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 23:00 

South Carolina, USA

Jack Campin wrote:

I wonder if there is some correlation between good quality tomatoes and ocarina production? - like the geochemical reason why, in the UK, nuclear power stations tend to be located in places that produce good beer. The Po delta (where Fecchio is located) produces a great variety of vegetables including most of Europe's large-bulb garlic.

Jack!!! Good to hear from you. Well surprisingly the answer is "yes" to the quality of growing tomatoes!!! AND The response will become expanded--the shale I use to make these vessel flutes is going to be tested in the Department of National Brick Analysis at Clemson University, located about 80 miles from me. I've asked specific chemical questions.

Nowq more importantly, I tried to play John Lowland's "flow, My Tears"--a song I really like, but can you help me count that first measure?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 23:02 

South Carolina, USA

Jack Campin wrote:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 23:03 

South Carolina, USA

Andy Cox wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:

that question was asked, but the fellow did not give me his address or telephone no...I will continue to try