Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 19 May 2019, 11:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ocarina Tabs Improved? (Creativity!)
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 04:55 

20 Feb 2014, 08:53

Sydney, Australia

Hello everyone! :roll:
Posting my new revolutionary project - OCAtabs! :geek:

Will you agree that common ocarina tabs missing such important things as note duration, song rhythm and pitch (how high or low the note is)?
I always had a dream to invent an extended ocarina tab system. Something that people may use before stepping into the advanced world of sheet music.

So, here’s what I got!

Link for Tumblr people: http://oca-fun.tumblr.com/post/106679205633/ocatabs-jingle-bells-for-6-hole-ocarina
Link for Blogspot people: http://oca-fun.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/ocatabs.html

Could you please let me know what you do think?

Enjoy the Oca Fun!
oca-fun.tumblr.com or oca-fun.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Ocarina Tabs Improved? (Creativity!)
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:22 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

re:Will you agree that common ocarina tabs missing such important things as note duration, song rhythm and pitch

Certainly i agree, but because i must be terribly thick, it would seem learning to read regular/traditional notation would save a lot of time, would not you agree?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 02:33 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

There isn't a lot of point in introducing a new rhythmic notation less expressive than the conventional one and no easier to read.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 20:17 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

Personally, I am very much against the use of tabs for the ocarinas. I think the time and effort investment in learning to fluently read tabs (i.e. being able to read the music without the instrument) is simply wasted and could be better used to become fluent in standard music notation. I don't think there is any person in the world who can read ocarina tabs better than even a beginner who reads sheet music (with the possible exception of numerical tabs in Asia).

Every moment spent using tabs is a moment not spent reading standard notation. And when it comes to skills such as reading music, the only thing that matters is repeated practice. One cannot learn to read music by reading a book, one has to do it over and over again, until they are proficient at it.

Even worse, using tabs is to enter a comfort zone, which only makes it more difficult to progress towards standard notation. To play music from the ocarina tabs is, in a way, to stop progressing, because of the short-cut oriented mindset. There are no short-cuts in music, and no instant results. Standard music notation, while it may seem more difficult to learn to a superficial observer, is really the best way to notate music based on the Western music theory (which is to say, almost all music today). It is a system that was not invented by a particular person, but evolved throughout the centuries. It has not changed significantly for almost 500 years, which only testifies to its versatility and efficiency. And it is really not at all difficult to learn - all it takes is some practice. The idea of playing a concert instrument, like an ocarina, and not knowing how to read and write music is quite unimaginable to me. The situation is a bit different for those who specialize in folk music, but still, being musically literate is a huge benefit for everyone.

Therefore, I'm sorry to say (and this is in no way intended to be malicious towards the author of the original post), but I think that any project regarding collecting and publishing ocarina tabs, as well intentioned as it may be, is ultimately a disservice to people passionate about the ocarina.