Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 11:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone up for conversation?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 01:42 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

so much to talk about and ideas to exchange.
1. anyone practicing Christmas music?
2. Are you playing with other instruments?
3. any new and interesting places to play/perform?
4. I know no one has much time to reply these days, especially with the world news as it is. Do any of you live in Paris?
5. any new and interesting products having different timbres?
6. any more experiments with voicing?

I'm re-tuning several old ocarina and am having a blast, even tho I do not have the experience to compare what I am doing with instruments with those who have various collections of instruments and are professional performers, but still, I'm having fun.

and, the long hot summer is over and autumn weather has begun.

Post subject: Re: anyone up for conversation?
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 16:18 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

Well I have another ocarina and it baffles me a bit.

My wife got it last week in Germany; it belonged to someone who'd moved there from Wales. Her family acquired it around WW2, and she thinks it belonged to an Italian migrant farmworker. I'll try to upload photos somewhere, but meanwhile: it's one of the worst ocarinas I've ever seen or tried. It's painted black with gold tips, like an Austrian one. Crudely handmade with the capellino shaped by by unsmoothed knife cuts. The voicing is enormous. The fingerholes are nearly the same size and not chosen to give any sort of sensible scale, painted inside with gold. Basic pitch is C alto and with all fingers off it gets a C an octave up (maybe C# if you blow really hard). No wear marks from playing, which is not surprising since it's unplayable. White clay showing through chips in the paint.

My best guess is that it was a school craft project and the kid who made it sent it off to Daddy in the UK. Nobody would have paid money for it.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 18:42 

South Carolina, USA

Well Jack,

I have now made good progress in cleaning out so many instruments from the house. Boxes of flutes, ocarinas, tin can banjos, lap and hammered dulcimers, whistles and various kazoo-like noise-makers. that action took a lot out of me, but as old age approaches, decisions had to be made.

Time now is spent reading, fine-tuning tubular flutes, and playing simple songs given to me by members of the British bamboo pipe guild. Many of the songs are English Renaissance songs that are VERY simple but for this ole fellow, very satisfying--songs I used to play on the virginal I made 35 years ago. these songs as well as the Internet links you have shared on various forums have been a lifesaver during my transition time into retirement. In fact I spend the morning taking extended pipes, both soprano (c) and alto (f), recorders and closed tubular pipes to the basement of our little town's Visitors Center. Cement walls made anything I played sound as an orchestra!--such a huge contrast between the Baroque reedy sound of the plastic recorders and the wide-bore bamboo pipes having few-overtones. Ocarinas brought were ones I made. I don't seem to be appreciative of the excellent but loud plastic ones I have--I prefer the larger, e flat ocarina (but the weight is considerably more than a c or high d instrument).

It would be interesting to know what music folks play privately in their homes. does one practice for personal pleasure or are they, as you Jack, accomplished enough to play with others? My experience with Friday evenings in English pubs is still remembered. We have nothing as those in my area. It seems our region is one of natural beauty, pleasant weather, but little interest in developing interests in the arts.

Andy

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 21:57 

Edinburgh, Scotland

I have acquired a ridiculous number of instruments over the last year, for purposes ranging from serious performance to simply figuring out how they work.

- tarogato: I love the sound, paid a lot for it and intend to play it a lot; takes time to get what I want out of it.

- txistu: thought I was getting an English 3-hole pipe but the picture on the EBay auction was too bad to tell. So I've looked up a bit of Basque music. Doesn't look like any great problem.

- flabiol: a lot harder to play and even harder to practice since it's so shatteringly loud I need earplugs.

- tilinko: easy to play scales but can I figure out how to fit a real tune on it? I keep it beside the computer and noodle on it every so often in the hope that it'll just happen sometime.

- ney: bought as a learning experience. Absolute pig to get any sound out of. I keep that beside the computer to puff on in odd moments.

- 2 salamuris in different scales, one odd and one very odd: need to hear more Georgian music to work out what to do with them. There seem to be no methods or tunebooks, even in Georgian.

- an F sopranino clarinet: easy peasy, doesn't need any special practice, just works.

The things I find that really do need practice: multichamber ocarinas (for klezmer) and the oud (i have an old Syrian one that I have started to use for French "bal folk" music, not to make any sort of political point but simply because it works very well with the group).

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:01 

South Carolina, USA

good lord Jack. o I learn from you.

did not know the tarogato. was aware of the txistu flabiol and tilinko...... still trying to find the musical scores for the overtone flute (how to play and several tunes

What sort of ney did you get. One type is positively impossible to play.

what culture is this
https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcaf ... =salamuris

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:27 

Edinburgh, Scotland

The salamuri is the Georgian shepherd's flute. The usual one is a bit like a Turkish dilli kaval; I have one of those and another the same size with the fingerholes in very odd places, to get some sort of minor scale as the primary one. There is bugger all information about it either on paper or on the web, but quite a few YouTube videos. I have a Georgian neighbour across the street who has the most informative thing I've yet found, a video of a wedding band taken when they were on holiday back home a couple of years ago. She got me the instruments, there can't be many of them in the UK. These are quality, they were made by the leading player in Georgia.

I got a Turkish mansur ney. It is virtually impossible.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:41 

South Carolina, USA

isn't she Georgian? wow

Khatia Buniatishvili: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWfgK68 ... WRcMdRoBi4

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 02:51 

Edinburgh, Scotland

... as is the great composer Giya Kancheli, here writing a small jazzy piece (film music?) for a group that includes the ocarina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dmIsY-vaBA