Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 May 2019, 03:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please introduce yourself in this thread
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 03:57 

16 Oct 2012, 03:47

Humble, TX USA

i do plan on purchasing an ocarina in the near future. im very excited about that and the opportunities to learn an art on this forum.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 12:42 

11 Aug 2012, 18:17

You should get a Takashi! They are fantastic ocarinas... Maybe not the best for a beginner or someone with a budget.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 21:16 

02 Aug 2012, 13:21

New York, USA

Welcome Dillon! I'm glad to hear you have an interest in perhaps making some ocarinas. It's a lovely craft full of rewarding experiences. If I can be of any help at all, with regard to ocarina construction of what have you, feel free to ask away. You can post a query in the making sub forum, email me, chat on irc (I'm there most of the time) or pm.
Looking forward to chatting with you! :)

please visit my website and see what Im making! http://facebook.com/oberonocarinas

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 03:00 

16 Oct 2012, 03:47

Humble, TX USA

Thanks a bunch Mr. Dubois :)

by the way, i have never seen a finish i liked more than your saggar fired ones with the different salt and things. i think they are the coolest things ever.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 21:32 

Ross's finishes are the coolest! He saggars the entire ocarina, instead of a patch.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 02:44 

21 Nov 2012, 05:02

Hi I'm Jordan and I am from North Carolina. I started playing the ocarina around 2 years ago. I became interested after watching multiple videos of different players. I love the pure and resonant sounds that this instrument produces. I began making ocarinas around a year ago and am hoping to be able to begin selling them within a few months.
Right now I am only a high-school student so I don't really have a background.

Please visit by Facebook page so that you can stay updated on my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/spiritwind.ocarinas

My website http://spiritwindocarina.com/

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 03:01 

Administrator

Administrator

02 Aug 2012, 00:53

Maarssen, The Netherlands

Welcome Jordan,
It's always nice to see new makers join the forum. Don't be alarmed if it takes you longer than you expect to be able to start selling them, it appears making ocarinas to consistently be just the way you want them requires an enormous amount of time and dedication. I would be interested to see or hear what you have been making so far!

Make sure to stop by our chat room! Internet  Relay Chat

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 23:26 

21 Nov 2012, 05:02

I started with making my ocarinas without a mold (by hand) I then created a mold and have been using the method of pressing the clay in and using loop tools to hollow. Now I am trying the drape mold method. This is new to me because I cannot work on the sound hole from both sides so I think it will take some getting used to. Maybe I will post some pictures of my work later. My goal is to reach a high quality tone of my ocarina.

Please visit by Facebook page so that you can stay updated on my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/spiritwind.ocarinas

My website http://spiritwindocarina.com/

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 16:56 

28 Nov 2012, 16:13

United Kingdom

Hi Everyone, I am an English girl, I love Art, Writing Fiction, and Music. I love Country, Rock, Classical and some Pop music. I learnt to play a little on the keyboard at school, learnt to play Jingle Bells on the Harmonica, and even attempted an Irish Penny Whistle (which unfortunately I could hardly get any sound out of)! I gave up on ever properly learning to play a musical instrument, not really having the time. Now I've recently bought a new Harmonica, and want to have a dabble again. I remember loving the sound of it and enjoying it. I'm now wondering why I ever got rid of it?

I've stumbled across a Youtube video of someone playing the theme to Pirates of the Carribean on the Ocarina. It sounded flute like to me, and hopefully will be much easier to play than a flute? So I am hoping to learn more about the Ocarina, and buy one. I have been looking at a 'Sweet Potato' shaped Alto C Ocarina, and think this might be a good place to start. I'm looking forward to making some new friends along the way. :)

Sweet Potato

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 22:22 

The sweet potato Alto C is the place to start. Most people will try to tell you to get a 6 hole, but I find the fingering system scrambled and confusing. I hope we can help you successfully pick out your first ocarina!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 08:53 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

When I see people referring to the ocarina as a "sweet potato", I always think of this hilarious guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabHGlGm14 :D

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 10:36 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

If you had problems getting a sound out of a tin whistle you must have had an unusually bad one. The ocarina is no easier (and no harder) in breath control.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 22:43 

United Kingdom

Hi Jack Campin, I did struggle with the tin whistle, but it was a secondhand one when I got it, so I guess there could have been something wrong with it? I don't really know much about them, I just had a go and struggled.

Hi Krešimir - That is a very funny video, and so amazing that the Broccoli works, and sounds lovely. Is there any material you can't make an Ocarina out of? I love it!

Thank you TheZ, here is the Ocarina I am planning to buy:
Key : Tuned in Alto C
Color : RED
Material : Plastic
Dimension : 160 x 105 x 50(mm)
Finger Hole : 10holes in front, 2holes in back
String and fingering chart included.

I am hoping it will be a good one to learn on, please let me know what you think.

Sweet Potato

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 01:09 

Oh, the Bon plastic... I can't say much about it, as I don't own one, but it is a plastic. Plastic ocarinas tend to suffer from condensation issues. Where do you plan to order it from?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 01:12 

Zagreb, Croatia

I'm not really sure about that one, it looks pretty cheap and low quality... If you must buy a plastic ocarina, I'd recommend a Noble AC. But I suggest you to read this thread first: Thoughts on Plastic Ocarinas.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 02:48 

08 Aug 2012, 05:44

I concur with Kresimir - plastic ocs are generally of a low quality. There are exceptions, of course, such as Noble (Especially the Night by Noble model).

I would highly recommend getting a ceramic Alto C for your first ocarina. There are plenty available at reasonable prices, so there really isn't a reason to get anything less :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 04:56 

01 Dec 2012, 04:52

My House

Erm, My name is Nic. I like the ocarina and would like to make them, I really enjoy the looks of the Italian ocarina, and think that they are fun to make. I think it doesn't really get the respect it deserves since everyone is obsessed with those Asian ocs currently.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 20:07 

Zagreb, Croatia

NicCeb wrote:
Erm, My name is Nic. I like the ocarina and would like to make them, I really enjoy the looks of the Italian ocarina, and think that they are fun to make. I think it doesn't really get the respect it deserves since everyone is obsessed with those Asian ocs currently.
Hello, Nic, welcome to 'Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum'. I'm pretty sure the problem of obscurity and the lack of respect is a common problem for all types of ocarinas, Italian and oriental, and it is always nice to see new enthusiastic people interested in making this instrument.

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 16:52 

02 Dec 2012, 16:44

Hello group!

My name is Matt, and I have been playing for about 3 years now. I work in the engineering department for an international Christian broadcasting network (3ABN) and I play a number of instruments. I have developed a special like for 10 hole ocarinas, and my Rotter AC is my current favorite.

Moderator edit: This post has been moved to the introduction thread. ~Bas

"Devout seeker of perfection"

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 20:28 

United Kingdom

Oh dear, now I'm really wishing I read these replies before I bought it! TheZ I bought it from ebay, the seller has just relisted another one just like it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281033344759

Kresimir, I am hoping it is a good quality one as it is not the cheapest. What is the condensation issue and how do you counteract it? Do you have to let it air out after playing it? Thank you for the link too, I am still finding my way around this forum!

Cambell, I have seen some lovely ceramic ocarinas for good prices, but I was worried they might break in the post. Perhaps I should try one of those?

Hi Nic and Matt, now I am no longer the newest newbie! :)

Sweet Potato

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next