Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 11:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: flip flop
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2014, 22:22 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

Okay folk, winter is here and outside temps are becoming uncomfortable. Possibly discussions might begin again.

Ocarinas and their aesthetics, delightful timbres, limited range, ease of breaking, and varying blowing pressures, have made me flip flop to and from other instruments, mainly recorders. But because I’m too old to consider spending time to practice hours a day, I keep coming back to the ocarina. Maybe it is the instruments’ ranges that allow a known and limited search for appropriate music. Maybe it’s the ease of carrying and storage. I don’t know, but I have just found a box of ocarinas I made during the first three months of making them.

Wonders of wonders, these first ocarinas may be in better tune than some of the later ones! For some reason they are playable, and I’m happy that they were saved. I hope family members will appreciate holiday presents as these! Shucks no, they are not as good as those made by well-known makers as all of mine require(d) a lower blowing pressure, but again what do I know……

If I could only have the guts to process more of the backyard clay and try to make ocarinas with consistent fundamental pitches. Maybe all of this can change next week—we are having a drainage ditch made under our home. I will be asking the workmen to save some of the cleaner/purer clay they will be digging.
Do wish me luck

Post subject: Re: flip flop
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2014, 22:59 

21 Nov 2012, 05:02

Good luck Andy! I do know that you really enjoy the aspect of totally homemade ocarinas (clay made from scratch) but perhaps a mix of this clay and some store bought clay would make work a little easier and you would be able to work more often. You progress so quickly that I think you should keep going :D last I saw you had some great work. If you ever are in the Raleigh area drop me a message and I would love to show you my studio and some making tips :D

Please visit by Facebook page so that you can stay updated on my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/spiritwind.ocarinas

My website http://spiritwindocarina.com/