Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 07:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: scales and questions
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 19:33 

02 Jun 2013, 01:13

South Carolina, USA

Many of you may remember my story about playing simple church songs to my 98 year old mother. Today at the Senior Center, an old(er) lady who had also heard the same story, brought me an old hymnal that when naturally opened on the song (attached) brought surprise and question.'

The lady said she knew the song and I started playing the ocarina until.....please someone tell me what is going on with the chorus. Why a supposed change in key or is that what is happening. As I know nothing about music theory and have enjoyed a forum's discussion of the circle of fifths, could anyone explain what is happening in this song and give a reason for it?

adny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: scales and questions
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 20:42 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

The form of this piece is called a two-part song. It is one of the most usual and common forms in music. The first part, which is, in this case, in C major, is 16 measures long and consists two sentences (each 8 measures long in this case) which are identical in everything except the ending cadence. Such a collection of two sentences, resembling a question and answer (called antecedent and consequent) is called a musical period.

The chorus (second part) starts in G major at the last beat of measure 16. The new key is used to make it obvious that this is a new part of the song. However, in this case, the melody quickly modulates back to the original C major. The form of the chorus is a long musical sentence (total 16 measures).

Post subject: Re: scales and questions
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 23:37 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

It's a kind of tune which anticipates sonata form - state a first subject, then a second subject in the dominant key, then find some way to bring it to a conclusion in the original key. "The Bluebell of Scotland" is another one that does the same thing in even less space.

http://www.campin.me.uk