Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 01:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collaborative editing of a history/method book
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 03:40 

01 Jan 2015, 00:33

Dear People:

Last year, I completed and submitted both a historical investigation of and method book for the 12-hole ocarina. It seems to have been well-received academically (had it been scored one point higher, it would have received an honors designation), and by those to whom I presented at a later poster session.

As with every person who has grappled with a creative endeavor, I feel as though no project is truly finished, but simply left in some stage of abandonment. I know that I did good work on it, but I know also that there is more that can be done.

This is where you enter the picture.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read/play through both documents, and offer me constructive, critical feedback that I can incorporate into the revisions. If something should be added, removed, expanded, or trimmed, let me know. While critical is not synonymous with harsh, please do not sugar-coat anything for my benefit. I've already begun to re-write and edit, but I can only see so much after having lived with the books for so long.

I suspect that the messaging system for the forum might be cumbersome for what I'm proposing, so I'm also open to suggestions as to how to most effectively get revisions back and forth. I've considered creating a Google doc on which we could collaborate, but I don't know if it works well for PDFs and sheet music. It's also possible to use Adobe to write directly on the PDF and those could be sent back and forth, but then we'd lose the ability for everyone to effectively see things.

What happens to the books when they're finished is also unknown. Some of my colleagues have urged me to publish (if that happens, anyone who works on them will of course be acknowledged). Part of me however wants to see them lay the groundwork for the open-source ocarina book that was tossed around some years ago.

I've hyperlinked the documents for so that you might read them before you commit to anything, just hit ctrl+F and search ocarina. [As an aside, if you like any of the arrangements, please feel free to use them (don't pass them off as your own, and let me know if you use them and how they work out)].

Thanks for taking the time to read and to help, if you've chosen to do so. I look forward to hearing from you.