Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 07:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post music only in standard notation, as a PDF, a picture or an ABC notation code. Do not post pictorial, numerical or any other ocarina tablatures.

Do not post copyrighted material, unless you can provide the proof of copyright holder's explicit permission to be used publicly on this forum.

Post subject: My ocarina page
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 22:31 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

I don't think I've mentioned this here:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Ocarina/

It's got different aims from other ocarina pages on the web. I'm not trying to sell any specific brand, and I'm also not following the Budrio party line, if there is such a thing. I see the ocarina as having unrealized potential, particularly as a folk instrument, and the many links on the page are intended to inspire by example, to give players knowledgeable about some specific genre an idea of what the ocarina can do for them.

There are some negative points to be made. I think the ocarina is a disaster as an educational instrument, and its unscrupulous promotion as such in the UK has led to a ghastly waste of children's musical potential. But mainly I just ignore that and focus on what can be achieved with it in genres where it works.

I'm not particularly looking for feedback, but there are some kinds of music I'd like to include more about. In particular I have no links to ethnographic material from South America that gives any real idea of the ocarina's musical function in indigenous cultures there (i.e. in music that is not aimed at a First World audience). Nor do I have anything from central Europe until very recent times. And I'd like some good technical descriptions of the varieties of borrindo and xun and the specifics of the music played on them.

http://www.campin.me.uk

Post subject: Re: My ocarina page
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 11:52 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

Jack Campin wrote:
I don't think I've mentioned this here:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Ocarina/

Thank you, Jack, for providing this excellent resource, especially the sheet music.

Jack Campin wrote:
There are some negative points to be made. I think the ocarina is a disaster as an educational instrument, and its unscrupulous promotion as such in the UK has led to a ghastly waste of children's musical potential. But mainly I just ignore that and focus on what can be achieved with it in genres where it works.

I disagree with this. While I see ocarina in schools as potential disaster, I also see it as a great benefit for children, if taught properly. In Italy and in Korea, there have been great successes with teaching children the ocarina as their first instrument. And by 'ocarina' I do not mean 4 or 6-hole pendant whistles with cross fingering, but a real transverse ocarina, of course.

Of course, there are things that teachers have to be very careful about, the biggest problem being the intonation. If a teacher is competent and has trained ears, such problems practically do not exist - in fact, children benefit greatly from playing an instrument with unstable pitch, because they have to constantly be aware of intonation. But it is more work for the teacher, that is certain - a teacher must be very patient and meticulous regarding intonation (and able to hear, of course).

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2014, 14:34 

Edinburgh, Scotland

I've been steadily updating that. I've tried to provide a comprehensive list of suppliers of Italian-style ocarinas so that interested people can get one without jumping through too many hoops with international ordering, but my list can't be complete. Surely there are some Far Eastern makers who do 10-holes as a standard item?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 13:44 

02 Aug 2012, 14:57

Jack Campin wrote:
I've been steadily updating that. I've tried to provide a comprehensive list of suppliers of Italian-style ocarinas ......

Da tempo volevo congratularmi con te per la tua competenza ed obiettività, pregi più unici che rari nell'ambiente disastrato dell'ocarina.
Sei la seconda persona (forse) che ho percepito abbia compreso la differenza tra il maneggiare i doppi fori (split) e i fori di discendenza (subholes) e perciò della diversa gestione manuale dei doppi fori che si debbono chiudere abitualmente e quelli che si possono addizionare occasionalmente.
Attachment:
Schermata 2015-12-30 alle 10.15.28.png
Attachment:
Schermata 2015-12-30 alle 10.35.34.png

Chi non è musicista e non ha una coscienza tecnica del maneggio di strumenti musicali, non vede queste differenze, perché esse sono legate ad una sofisticata abilità strumentale del musicista.
Ovvero:
1) Lo split deve essere coperto totalmente in modo abituale e se ne scopre il foro esterno per fare una nota alterata.
2) Il Subhole si deve coprire volutamente e non può essere coperto accidentalmente, per questo meglio lasciarlo fuori dalla portata abituale del dito.
Ovviamente tutto ciò appare necessario, se si debbono suonare musiche tecnicamente evolute, impegnative e rapide, invece, quando sono nenie lente e lamentose, o passaggi casuali di finta agilità, tutto va bene, pure i fori ovalizzati per dita minuscole.

Ma io credo che
1) musicisti esperti che suonano pure l'ocarina ed hanno quindi competenza strumentale addizionati a
2) quelli che sono liberi da politiche aziendali o di campanile e che quindi hanno obiettività di giudizio, sono purtroppo ancora rarissimi, speriamo nel futuro.

Credo pure che i miglioramenti si vedranno, se e quando la diffusione dell'ocarina continuerà ad espandersi quando musicisti esperti saranno incentivati a riversare la loro bravura su uno strumento musicale di non più dubbia efficacia e maggiore versatilità tecnica, questo pensiero alimenta il mio obiettivo.

Riguardo alla didattica infantile, non penso che l'ocarina sia uno strumento molto più adatto di altri.
Problemi di intonazione dovuti alla sua natura e difficoltà obiettive di maneggio dovrebbero far riflettere i didatti obiettivi e competenti, vertendo la loro attenzione su strumenti tradizionali, gli orientali ne hanno moltissimi e gli occidentali non mancano di materiale, per non dimenticare lo strumento per eccellenza ovvero il canto.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.giorgiopacchioni.com/ocarinanuova

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 00:05 

Edinburgh, Scotland

I have had the page translated into Italian (by my friend Elisa Mazzariol). This version (probably not the way it'll end up) has it as one big PDF file with lots of pictures.

http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Ocarina/Italiano.pdf

Comments, in either English or Italian?

And could people pass this link on to any Italian players and makers they know who don't read this forum regularly?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 10:55 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

Comments? It's the same page, but in Italian. I liked the original page and I like the Italian translation (while English is a bit easier to understand, I can also read Italian). PDF is very nice, because I can easily download it and save it on my hard drive.

My advice is that you also make a version as a web page, so that search engines can find it more easily. Sure, some search engines do search the contents of a PDF-file, but for viewing it online, a webpage is more accessible.