Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum is an on-line community for ocarina makers, musicians and enthusiasts, with a free resource depository containing sheet music and learning materials
Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum Little Geese: The Ocarina Forum
Internet Relay Chat Facebook page YouTube channel
Translation:

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 23:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before requesting sheet music, please use the search function to make sure it wasn't posted before.

Please do not request ocarina tablature (tabs).

Post subject: Moonlight Sonata for the Ocarina
PostPosted: 19 May 2013, 19:32 

25 Oct 2012, 22:29

Hello everyone!

I have a love for the Moonlight Sonata, all 3 Movements, so I wondered if anyone out there would fancy putting together the Ocarina Sonata!
All piano parts to be played on the Ocarina :) I would consider attempting it and do have the sheet music somewhere, but I mainly have pendants and only one transverse, so I don't think I could cover the whole song or do it any justice.

Wondered if anyone here, would fancy doing it? :mrgreen:

I've seen some Ocarina covers of Moonlight Sonata, but it always has a piano background and only plays the first movement.

Post subject: Re: Moonlight Sonata for the Ocarina
PostPosted: 19 May 2013, 22:52 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

Aren't you going to need a super-humungous bass for that?

This is one piece that brings out the historically righteous in me. Not only does it sound best on the piano, it sounds best on a historically accurate piano.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 19 May 2013, 23:45 

You don't think it would sound great if played by an ocarina group? If only I could record what I hear in my imagination....

I was looking at the sheet music and you could probably leave out the super low notes (like the D that's below the staff/stave).
Or it could be altered for the low parts to fit on a Double Bass.

Also may I ask what you mean by a 'historically accurate piano'?

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 09:48 

03 Aug 2012, 20:26

Edinburgh, Scotland

A fortepiano from Beethoven's time has less sustain, particularly in the bass, than a modern piano. Beethoven says to keep the pedal down continuously - that would produce an awful blur of dissonances on a modern instrument, but it works fine on a piano from 1800 or a reproduction of one.

http://www.campin.me.uk

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 21:36 

20 Sep 2012, 22:30

Third movement? Are you kidding me?! No way any ocarina ensemble would pull that off. Just looking at synthesia makes me dizzy.

Okay maybe it's not super hard on piano, but almost imposible to play by ocarina ensemble without dumbing it down.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 18:47 

02 Aug 2012, 00:49

Zagreb, Croatia

Yes, I tend to agree with Gyzyn on this - an arrangement for an ocarina septet would have to change it considerably to make it playable. This is definitely not a piece that lends itself to ensemble arrangements well. I once heard it played by a wind band (woodwinds+brass+percussion), but it was barely recognizable... :/

A wind band is usually a good (although somewhat rough) estimate of what works good on ocarina ensemble: if it sounds good when played by a wind band, chances are good it will sound good arranged for an ocarina septet.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 22:18 

Ah okay.... my dream of hearing it on an ocarina shall go back on the shelf then :D
Never know unless you ask!

Maybe one day there will be a super human ocarina that can play it.... Or someone with a lot of ocarinas and time to record all the parts XD

Gyzyn, if you think the synthesia makes you dizzy, you should see the sheet music, there are some semi quavered triplets! Because semi quavers just aren't fast enough :D

Thanks also to Jack for your explanation (learnt something new there!) and Kres perhaps in future if I get wacky ideas about songs to play on the ocarina, I'll see if a wind band has done it first ;)